DARLINGTON, SC – The Darlington County Board of Education conducted its annual evaluation of Darlington County School District (DCSD) superintendent Dr. Tim Newman at its November monthly meeting. Newman met or exceeded district expectations overall on his evaluation for the 2022-2023 school year.
"We have seen the Darlington County School District make significant movement toward our goals this year under the leadership of Dr. Newman," said Wanda Hassler, chairman of the Darlington County Board of Education. "We are proud of the hard work and accomplishments of our students, staff, and schools.
- DCSD has shown substantial improvements in several academic areas, with several schools exceeding state averages.
- Students lacking resources have made significant gains.
- DCSD is among the top 10 in the state in terms of college or career readiness.
- Almost 100 students have paid internships in our community, giving them real-world experience and building our workforce.
- Our starting salary for teachers is among the highest in the state.
- Four schools earned EXCELLENT ratings on the annual report card, with 15 of 17 schools increasing their overall report card points from the previous year.
- We are excited about the ongoing academic success, and we look forward to continued progress toward our goals."
In light of the progress made by the district guided by Dr. Newman, the board approved a one-year extension to his contract, extending it through June 2026. The board also gave him a two-percent salary increase and an annual step increase.
"I appreciate the board's support in our mission to educate, empower, and prepare all for an ever-changing world. The results of this positive evaluation reflect all the great work that others have done around me and in our schools," said Newman. "In this age of instant knowledge and action, consistency in leadership is important for the effectiveness of systems. Currently in my sixth year, I am truly blessed to continue to be a part of the DCSD family. Our new strategic plan, which focuses on student success, staff excellence, community engagement, and the efficient use of resources, will continue to show others around the state how special our district is."